This Might be the Greatest Camping Hot Cocoa Recipe Ever
Okay, it’s sort of a pain to take milk and heavy cream with you when you go camping, but you have to figure on making some sacrifices on your way to hot cocoa greatness.
Videos by Outdoors
Make the mix ahead of time and keep it in a reusable jar or unbreakable, airtight container. Then when you get to the campfire, put the liquids to warm in a Dutch Oven and mix up a batch big enough for everyone. While you’re making and pouring the cocoa have each camper toast their own marshmallows for topping.
Recipe: World’s Greatest Camping Cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or monk sugar)
- 1 cup of powdered, fair-trade cocoa (unsweetened)
- 2 ½ cups powdered milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (chopped as fine as you can make them)
Liquid Ingredients (per serving)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- Large, toasting sized marshmallows
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl at home, then store in airtight container. Something unbreakable is best for camping.
- Combine three heaping tablespoons of mix with ½ cup heavy cream and ½ cup milk (per serving) in a Dutch Oven or other fire safe kettle.
- Warm over campfire. Make it good and hot, but don’t let it boil. You need the heat to melt the chocolate chip fragments thoroughly.
- Toast a couple of large marshmallows over the campfire until they are golden brown and the centers are nearly liquid.
- Pour or ladle the hot cocoa into mugs.
- Top with one or two toasted marshmallows. Ooze the center out of the marshmallow and stir into the beverage.
- Drink while it’s still hot.
Click here for more camping recipes.